Thursday, April 21, 2011

Celebrity Mail

I may have already blogged about sending my books to famous people.  It's sort of embarrassing that I do this, and I would love to hear back from any other authors who also do it.  I don't know why I feel compelled to connect with celebrities.  Obviously, I'm not the only person in the world who feels this way, since that's what made them celebrities in the first place.  There are numerous reasons I send my books out.  So, first I will tell you to whom I send the books, and then I will explain the reasons why.  All of this feels very humiliating and cementing my status as Queen of the Dipshits, but, hey, that's what blogs are for, right?

Here is a list (possibly partial because I may have blocked some out due to the ri-dork-ulous nature of this) of who received my books:
  • Rupert Grint
  • Wil Wheaton
  • Felicia Day
  • Paul Feig (I think?)
  • Possibly Richard Linklater
Okay.  So I am really blanking on this.  I have no idea how I select these people.  It must be when I'm going through obsessive phases and think, hey, these people make things I like so why wouldn't they like things I make?  And then I write them a gushy letter and include my books in hopes of... what, exactly?  A good question to ask myself, since I just mailed a few of my books out to (wait for it...) the Ghost Adventures Crew.  Yes, you may laugh.  I am laughing at myself right now.  Here is my list of why I mail books out to these people:
  • As I said, I would hope that people who make things I like would like things I make.  Resulting in...
  • I would love to get a letter or email back with them telling me they like my stuff.  Do celebrity compliments mean more than those from us regular folk?  They shouldn't, but I can't help but get caught up in it just a bit.  Not that I know what it feels like.
  • Is there a part of me that thinks if a famous person likes my work that they will then somehow either promote it through Twitter or their websites, or even take it a step further and want to turn it into a film for me?  Maybe.  But I don't think that's my main reason for contact.
  • Why does anyone contact celebrities?  Perhaps it's the idea that someone who is known and loved by so many took the time to chat with little ol' me makes us feel more special.  Ridiculous, but true.
Writing this blog post has made me feel a little pathetic and losery.  Geez.  It was supposed to be funny!  Did I mention the fact that I have not heard back from ANYONE?  The Ghost Adventures Crew has some time, since I just sent the books to them, but still.  Why do I waste my time, energy and money?  Is the possibility of something worth the self-degradation?

I will say this: when I was a freshman in high school, I was obsessed with the Nickelodeon show Don't Just Sit There (I may have already written about this, but humor my pathetic ass [actual ass not so pathetic now that I've been doing squats]).  More specifically, the band on the show.  Most specifically, the bass player, Chris Guice.  I wrote the band a letter, and I don't know how long afterward, they wrote back.  No.  Chris wrote back.  It was amazing.  It was everything!  At the time.  Not that a letter from someone on Ghost Adventures would be everything to me at this stage in my life, but it sure would be fun.  At least it would give me something to blog about.

2 comments:

carey said...

i loved don't just sit there. so, so much.

Julie H said...

Have you watched it recently? Is it somewhere on the web? I wonder if it stands up over time. I'm guessing not so much. Who was your favorite?