Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Write-O

Have you seen SLC Punk?  I love this movie.  I saw it in the theaters when it was out, with a friend and her date and his friend.  I don't think it was supposed to be a date for me.  Geez-- maybe it was.  I didn't sit by the guy or anything.  Or talk to him.  But the movie-- I was so pumped when I left the theater.  Matthew Lillard, probably best-known as Shaggy from Scoobie Doo (anyone remember him from SkateTV?), was brilliant.  The role was perfect for him.  Just like he was perfect as the reader of the audiobook for KL Going's FAT KID RULES THE WORLD (one of my all time favorite audios).  I have heard he bought the rights to make FAT KID into a movie.  That was a long time ago, though.  Anyway, I have a Roku player in my basement, which is a little machine that streams the Netflix movies straight to my TV.  It's cool because we don't have cable in the basement, but we can watch all of this great stuff when we're on the treadmill because of the Roku.  Actually, Matt doesn't do the treadmill because it's boring.  He makes up some workout using the stairs.  I haven't watched him.  Yet.  During my last three treadmill workouts, I watched SLC Punk.  And it's still amazing.  If you haven't seen it, you should.  It's a little juvenile and stylized, but the characters are well-defined and the acting is excellent.  Plus the music?  Soooo inspirational during a workout.  Or an ass-kicking. 

The GET WELL SOON sequel is chugging along.  Over 100 pages now.  I realized this morning that I may have an issue.  That is, I started writing the book (the first 100 pages, actually) in a similar format to GWS, in that it's first person and written in chunks of Anna's days.  But I don't think, coming up, that I want to include every single day of her life.  I want to skip some, to get to the more dramatic bits.  So can I change it up?  Is that awkward?  I am not even technically writing it as a letter or diary this time, so I'm not exactly sure how to acknowledge that it's a different day.  Or do I just say a few days later?  It will all work out, as it does, but it will be interesting to see how.  It may take me forever to get there.  This morning I spent an hour writing five pages about the outfit Anna was choosing to wear for the day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the big-time hots for M. Lillard after Scream. He has totally disappeared though! I liked SLC Punk too :)

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I love Matthew Lillard. Never saw SLC Punk, but I know Matthew Lillard from Hackers, one of my fav movies from middle school. We watched that movie pretty much every weekend!

Julie H said...

Maybe we should all try to contact him and see what's up. I wonder how hard that would be...

Lesley said...

I loved SLC Punk but had totally forgotten about it. So, thanks Julie and Netflix. :)

Julie H said...

My (and Netflix's) pleasure, Rei!