Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Do Not Feel Insured

Two stories that give me stomachaches:
The battle for GET WELL SOON to be retained in Theisen Middle School has finally come to a close (although I have said that before).  The school board finally stepped up to bully Ann Wentworth and told her enough was enough.  The article (which actually quoted my blog!)  "Some of the requests being asked for are for an unattainable solution to problems that you perceive," said school board president, Eric Everson.  I love that he said they were problems she perceived.  The sad thing is that it sounds like the school district may still be considering some sort of selection policy shift, or at least a way parents can use the library's automated system to keep tabs on what their children are reading.  Instead of, you know, talking to them.  I would love to speak at the school this coming year (the librarian asked me, and I hope the offer still stands!).  What a unique learning opportunity for the students.

The next story if one of woe and insurance.  To all of the people out there who do not believe we need some sort of insurance reform: you are out of your bleedin' minds.  Right now, my family is trying to get private insurance for the year I am taking off of work to be home with my daughter and write.  Noble reasons, both. And even if they aren't noble, so what?  I deserve health care for my family without stress of the worry of being gouged.  I am afraid neither option is possible.  If I wanted to keep my family on my work's insurance, Cobra, for a year, I would pay over $23,000.  A reminder that my husband is a children's book author and illustrator, a freelance job, so my school job is where we normally get insurance.  To start an individual family policy, we had to fill out a mile-long application.  Fair enough.  But the phone rang yesterday with a "nurse" on the other end, and after over AN HOUR later, both Matt and I had to speak to this woman and tell her our entire sordid medical history.  Even though we filled out an application.  Even though we are just trying to get our insurance from the same company, who should already know everything about us already.  Even though the woman had all of the information right in front of her but lied to us and said all she had access to was our application.  Let me explain.  She asked if I would disclose information about a recent appointment I had for my shoulder.  I forgot to even put anything on the insurance application because it was no big deal, and all I have to do now is exercise my shoulder at home.  No follow-up.  But the phone nurse asked me if there was anything that happened recently.  Which meant she had the records in front of her.  So why the hell ask?  Because if I didn't tell her, I was lying?  The audacity of these questions, about my mental health and fertility history, was degrading and infuriating.  I felt completely used and abused and ashamed and dirty after I got off the phone with her.  I wish she knew that.  How does one sleep at night knowing that they are a part of this restrictive, discriminatory, and completely unhelpful system?  Oh, the irony of insurance.  I'll let you know in 7-10 days if we're approved.

7 comments:

Nina said...

If US Congressmen had to go through that degradation we'd have the best universal healthcare system in the world. :(

Natalie Whipple said...

Oy, been there on the insurance too. My husband's company weighs us every month—if we don't fall under 25 BMI (or at least improve) we are fined. We also have to document that we exercise at least 3x a week. They also test our glucose and cholesteral every quarter.

I know. It's fabulous. And they can get away with it because it's "optional." Meaning they offer non "health incentivized" insurance, except the deductible is so high it's practically worthless.

My blood boils just thinking about it, and just like you, I feel ashamed every time I have to go in there and stand on a scale for them.

Julie H said...

Nina-- so freakin' true!

Natalie-- what a horrible story! I wouldn't use that insurance at all! Having to get blood drawn every four months? No thank you! It sounds crazy! Sick bastards. Sorry you have to deal with that!

Natalie Whipple said...

Yeah, I wish we didn't have to, but it's pretty good if we follow their demands. No premium, 80/20, only co-pay for preventitive...you know, real-ish insurance. Except the maternity is still crap. (Isn't maternity always crap?)

Julie H said...

Natlaie, the Maternity should be good-- that's why you have it! Compare it to other policies out there just to see. They screw you with maternity if you switch, though-- it's a preexisting condition for you AND your husband! But I think the birth of my daughter-- a preemie birth, plus two weeks for her in the NICU-- cost me less than $2,000 out of pocket.

Laura Fuhrmann said...

Julie, I live on Fond du Lac and have been following the Anne Wentworth thing pretty closely. Believe me, she is NOT a popular person in our town these days. I was very much against her constant actions and hope she will now back off. Our public school system does have a system in place where parents can put a limit on what their children can check out. I don't have a problem with this, but kids are going to get around it anyway- I know I did. It would be nice to see an author address our school kids- hope you can make it.

Julie H said...

Laura- I love that you pointed out how kids are going to get around it. Right on! I work in a middle school, and you are so right! They will get around it. And how great that they are sneaking around TO READ BOOKS! I hope I get to visit your town and school :)