Tuesday, August 03, 2010

You are Wrong

You know when people TELL you something is the way it is, even though it is not, indeed, a fact?  I freakin' hate that.  More than most things.  The one thing I probably hate more than anything, when it comes to the THIS IS FACT department is when some turd says to me, after hearing that I have a needle phobia, "Just don't look."  To that I say, "F&@* you."  [Two things on that: are there actually specific symbols I'm supposed to use for that?  And isn't it funny how I'll swear in my books but not on my blog?]  It's a phobiaYou have at least one, if not more.  And this one is mine.  I'm sure there are a lot of things I can do that you can't because of your phobias, so don't knock me because of mine.  I gave birth without an epidural, for crying out loud.

It's not the pain I'm afraid of, but the needle.  It's more than that, but to describe it I'd actually have to think about it and then I might vomit on my keyboard.  And it does not help me AT ALL when you tell me not to look.  Oh!  I had not thought of such a clever idea.  My phobia is cured!  Do people really think that's helpful?  It's so obnoxious at this point that the next person to say that to me might get my self-defense-trained hand on your neck.  I even saw a hypnotist once to try and help me with the problem.  The thing I know now is, and this is the only helpful thing the hypnotist taught me, "I don't like it, but I can get through it."  And I can.  With a squeezable Winnie the Pooh stuffed animal, my iPod, my cell phone videos, and lots of tears, plus a Rodney Yee breathing exercise.   (I had blood drawn this morning, which is why I wrote this post.)

So to make me feel better: What are your phobias?

10 comments:

Laura Wood said...

That reminds me of when people tell me, "statistically flying is the safest way to travel," as if THAT will cure me of my aviaphobia.

Katie W. said...

I hate airplanes. And yes, I do know that they are safer than cars. It drives me nuts when people tell me that.

Natalie Whipple said...

Little shreds of paper—especially tissue or toilet paper. Just the thought makes me gag and get all anxious.

I don't know why, it just does. At least yours is legit—I got the worst bruise from an IV needle once. The whole top of my hand was purple and hurt like crazy.

craftysunday said...

balloons. i kid you not. just thinking about them now makes me ache. i hate their smell, and the sound they make when you rub them. for me, it's the potential to pop that really throws me over the edge. i get so anxious i feel sick. mylar balloons- those i can handle. but the regular birthday latex/rubbery kind? ugh...balloons.

...mindi

A fan said...

Crowds. I panic, perhaps because I'm short. Was once in a crowd waiting for doors to open to a Bruce Springsteen Concert (years ago) with general admission. The crowd got tighter & tighter around me. I thought I was suffocating. The front of the building was all glass. Panic set in and I screamed at the top of my lungs. The crowd magically backed away from me, my husband said it was a blood curdling sound. Just then the doors opened, my husband grabbed my hand and in we ran, actually got front row seats but the concert, for me was ruined, I was in a panic state all night long. Needless to say, it was one of the last rock concerts I attended. Avoid crowds at all costs. Have to give my hubby props, he completely understands my fear and never complains about having to avoid crowds. (BTW, Disney crowds are fine) :)
Has your mom said, were you that fearful of needles as a child?

Heather said...

Bats. We had over 100 in our roof and three times they made their way into the house. I always seemed to be the one that found them. Like the one in the bathroom while I was taking a bath or the one on the steps that I had just stepped over. I would always have nigtmares that they were biting me.

I have a friend that is also afraid of balloons. She can't be near them.

Julie H said...

I know several people with the flying phobia, but not with the balloon one. Fascinating! And Natalie- it must be tough to work around so much paper! Crowds makes sense to me. Were the bats a phobia before the they invaded? Keep 'em coming, people!

Dorothy Sims-Crumpet said...

I know what you mean about "helpful" advice. If one more person tells me that the spider is more afraid of me...
It's not true anyway, spiders mock me with their fearlessness.

I live in England so I know that I never meet a dangerous spider but it's a phobia, an irrational, all encompasing terrror. I'm so bloody scared of them that the idea of going to a hypnotherapist so that I won't be scared anymore makes me want to throw up.

Anonymous said...

Vomit. Perhaps because I was subjected to traumatizing car rides where my little brother (who always sat next to me) threw up. But to this day if anyone says they feel nauseous or if I watch tv where someone throws up, my heart rate speeds up and I breathe hard and have to go do something else.

Anonymous said...

Vomit. Perhaps it's because I was subjected to car rides where my little brother inevitably got car sick (sometimes on me) - the process of him feeling sick, looking sick, and finally getting sick was terrifying. To this day if anyone says they feel nauseous or if someone on TV gags or throws up, my heart rate increases and I breathe hard and I have to leave the room.