Monday, August 23, 2010

Magical Me

This past weekend was the Chicago Comic-Con, and both Matt and I (but especially Matt-- he won't stop talking about it) felt the Chicago Con has taken a mega downhill slide.  There were very few publisher booths, just mostly store booths, which gave it more of a swap-meet feel.  Maybe it's the whole "economy" thing, and hopefully it will bounce back in future years and the pubs will return.  The important thing is: I met Steve Sanders!  I mean, Ian Ziering!  And I was so super cute (which is not the first time my super cuteness has wooed the famous; you should have seen when I met Bruce Campbell at a rodeo in college [don't ask.  Or do.].  There are several other instances of me and famous people being charmed by me.  And I'll tell you why: I am super sincere about my love of those I love.  Does that make sense?  I don't hide behind coolness around people that wow me.  And I'm not always wowed by people I should be wowed by.  Or, the classic people that may wow other people.  I certainly wouldn't lose my noodles if I met, say, Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt.  But if I ever saw Noah Hathaway [who played Atreyu in The Neverending Story]-- watch out!  I think stars, particularly of lower grades, really respond to sincerity.)  I was so cute, in fact, that Steve, I mean Ian, asked me to dance, twirled me, and gave me a big hug at the end.  At one point I was laughing and smiling so much that I called him Steve, and he said, "Ian!"  He didn't seem mad, but I felt bad.  Not that bad.  And this picture?


Priceless.  OK, $35, but worth every smiling penny.

I didn't even bother trying to meet Nicholas Brendan, James Marsters, or Mickey Dolenz.  Nicholas and James were mobbed, and they wouldn't even leave their protective tables (unlike Steve, Ian), and Mickey got there so late, I was ready to am-scray.  Plus, he was charging $40, and I had just spent that much on new (totally worth it) Futurama figures.

In completely non-related, but probably more appropriate book news, I found a lovely review of INTO THE WILD NERD YONDER on author Stephanie Perkins' blog.  My favorite bits are where she pulls quotes from the book.  It made me sound really funny!  And where she says she wants to make out with the book.  Thanks, Stephanie!  I also like her because she makes you choose your Hogwarts House.  Remember when I was psycho about that?  (On the blog, that is.  I'll always be psycho about it inside.)  That makes me think I should make a new Potter blog label, for those who want to backtrack on all my crazy Potter posts.  Or for those who want to avoid them.

2 comments:

Brian James said...

You called him "Steve"...that's fantastic :)

In related 90210 news, did you see BAG is going to be on Desperate Housewives starting in the Fall? I've never watched, but I might have to now.

Julie H said...

I saw that about Housewives. I don't know if it will get me to watch. You can keep me up to date on how it is.