Friday, August 10, 2007

Dentist Shmentist

I saw the dentist yesterday. I used to love going to the dentist. My pediatric dentist was the best, and so were his hygienists (who, let's be honest, do most of the work unless something major has to be done). The office was fun, we got to choose from a menu of fluoride flavors (although, drooling in the sink? not a fan), and when I left I got to choose a toy- sometimes two! The dentist always made me feel like I was his star pupil, which is why I continued seeing my pediatric dentist until I was 27 and he told me it was time to stop. It was one of the worst days of my life. Now I see the same dentist that my parents see, and he's crazy. Actually, he and his twin brother share a practice, but I normally just see the one. He is way too picky about things. So is the nature of the dentist, I suppose, but enough is enough. Yesterday the dentist (which was the brother twin, since I made a last-minute appointment) was considering whether one of my gums was too low, and maybe I would need a gum graft. As if! And he didn't even say it to me- just to the hygienist. He kept referring to me as "the patient." What a creep. Like I'm coming back for a gum graft. That's crazy talk. I was all ready to see a new dentist (a woman), but she canceled on me and then I couldn't get a timely appointment, hence going back to the twins. But I think I'm done with them. Too much weirdness. I wish my pediatric dentist would take me back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dump the dynamic duo and find someone who isn't going to destroy your mouth and treat you like an object. I LOVE my hygenist and dentist but they're in the city. Too far for you. I usually schedule my appointments 6 months in advance to ensure I get a spot. Good luck hunting.

adverb1000 said...

I like my dentist, but it's the same dentist that probably 70% of the people we knew growing up still go to. =) Come, be one of us...