Andrew Smith is a fellow Feiwel and Friends family member. He writes a book pretty much every time he poops (um, I guess that would mean he poops kind of infrequently, but I mean he writes A LOT). His first novel, Ghost Medicine, was named a BBYA of 2009, and his second novel, the intense in the path of falling objects, arrives in bookstores on 9/9/09. He also likes to discuss boys and books. A LOT. My daughter warmed up to him immediately, so he is most definitely a decent guy. Look for a million other novels by him in the next year or two. And check out his website and blog at ghostmedicine.com.
The following questions are based on James Lipton's questions from Inside the Actors Studio, which, in turn, are based on the Proust Questionnaire. One of the questions is about swearing, so please excuse our French.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present-- Andrew Smith
1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
Scrotum. If I had my way, the word would be eradicated from every English lexicon and replaced with "ballsack."
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Travel. Going places I've never been. Especially places where I don't speak the language.
4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
Letting go of the mouth on a filled balloon.
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
When the pilot of the airplane I'm on says, "Holy shit! I fucked up!"
7. What is your favorite ?
I can't begin to tell you just how much I love the word "douchebag" Well, "fucking douchebag," actually. But neither one of those answers is actually a word, according to my spellcheck. Spellcheck isn't a word, for that matter, either. Douchebag spellcheck.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
The guy who runs the body scanner machine at the airport.
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
You again? I'm going to give you one more try to get it right.
PS -- If anyone else picked "douchebag" for #7, then I'll be pissed. It is MY favorite word.
Next Thursday's author: Yvonne Prinz!