Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fighting

The delightful news is that I do not have pinkeye.  Just, I don't know, something annoying going on with my eyes.  And Romy did not drop her gelato on the floor, which was also a good thing.  All in all, a nice day.  Matt and I went to see "The Fighter" in the afternoon in our quest to watch all of the Oscar movies.  It is going very well.  I loved "The Fighter."  And that makes me wonder: how do voters in such things as film or book awards really objectively choose the best?  Because, if the film you watch or book you read months ago was your favorite months ago, but then you see or read another one that you liked just as much, but much closer to the voting deadline, how do you refresh that feeling of wonder and excitement over the favorite long gone?  For me, when I saw "True Grit," I was like, "Best picture!"  But now I can't remember all of the things about it that made me think that.  Because I really loved "The Fighter."  Does it even matter, since I can't vote on anything anyway?

Pause to note the inconsistencies throughout my blogging of how I emphasize film titles.  Sometimes they get quotes, sometimes italics, sometimes bold.  The freedom of the blog.

Christian Bale is insanely good.  I was in love with him as a young teen and would watch "Empire of the Sun" and bawl my eyes out on a regular basis.  I had the soundtrack.  It's amazing how Bale was obviously born with this gift of acting.  There are very few actors who wow me.  I think it's one thing to become someone else, but it's another to do that and then really act from that new person.  I don't know if that makes sense.  Blah.  I took a sleeping pill last night, and I think it's still wearing off.  I he doesn't win the Oscar, then I will seriously believe it was out of jealousy from the voters.

Our babysitter will be away for ten days, so no more movies in the theaters.  I don't know if I will go out of my way to see "Black Swan" when she gets back.  From what I've heard about it, it sounds campy.  Which I like under normal circumstances, but should it be compared to the brilliance of the other Oscar-nominated films I've seen?  And, interestingly, people are all crazytown about Natalie Portman and how she was so committed to her role, but what about Marky Mark?  He was fully committed to physically becoming a boxer.  Did you see those jumping rope scenes?  What's the diff?  Please, someone convince me why I must see "Black Swan" and that Portman deserves my attention.  Because I'm obviously getting a little too into this Oscar race this year.

4 comments:

Adam Selzer said...

Often, "best" in these situations is just another word for "most."

Brian James said...

No dropping of the gelato? What fun is that?

Black Swan was decent...but definitely not Best Picture. I felt the same about True Grit. Loved it, but there were too many little problems with it. I haven't seen the Fighter because I saw it already back when it was called Rocky. I also refuse to see The Social Network because I can't stand Aaron Sorkin's writing. Every character speaks in the same snarky voice. It's like watching a person have a conversation with themselves, and a person that I don't particularly like.

As for how they choose, it's a popularity contest. It's about who or what agenda they want to reward and rarely has that much to do with the actual artistic product. Case in point: I still have yet to hear how Forest Gump is more impactful, meaningful, or better film than Pulp Fiction.

Julie H said...

Interesting, Adam. It's like the "most" high school newspaper I didn't get a mention in.

Brian, I like reading about another person's strong Oscar opinion. I don't remember the small problems in True Grit. The Fighter was REALLY good. I love a sports movie, which is funny considering my feelings on sports. Marky Mark was good, and Christian Bale was superb. The music was very good, too. Don't give up on it yet. What else did Sorkin do? I know he's all famous, but not with me. It was a very interesting story, though.

I never saw Forest Gump in its entirety, but I saw Pulp Fiction with a Norwegian exchange student I met while working in a public library.

Brian James said...

I thought that present tense ending to True Grit was unnecessary. I don't believe that girl would have grown up to be that cold women. She was stubborn and calculating, but she also had passion for life. And what you learn about Rooster, about the impact that girl had on his life, well I understood that the moment he stabbed the horse.

It is really odd that you like sports movies. I really don't, but I really like sports. Hmmmm....

Sorkin wrote The West Wing. That's the prime example of two characters having a conversation but it's so clearly one person writing it because it is a conversation with himself. He also wrote 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and it was the same thing. AND 'Sports Nite'...same thing.

Hate the Gump. And are you trying to tell me you've only seen Pulp Fiction once? I thought was impossible. It's not my favorite movie by any means (though I like it a lot), but it may just be the movie I've seen the most in my life. A quick guess, I'd say I've seen around 60 times. (not in it's entirety every time however).