Monday, February 14, 2011

The Arts

Yesterday was a gorgeous day in Chicagoland, nearing a balmy 45 degrees (maybe warmer.  I am guesstimating).  We took Romy to the Art Institute.  It was her second time there, but the first she will probably remember.  Here is a picture of the two of us in front of the exquisite Marc Chagall windows (they moved them from their original, perfect, Ferris Bueller romantic spot, to a place that's very random.  The only cool side of it is that you can now see the windows from outside the museum.  Although, Matt and I were both like, "Are those real?" so I don't know if the impact was felt):
Isn't it lovely?  Right after this was taken, Romy and I got in trouble for sitting on the wood in front of the windows.  But the woman felt bad for telling us to move, so then she told me how cute Romy was and to have a good time at the museum.  A most excellent day.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to take Romy to the Tripoli Shrine Circus in Milwaukee.  We've been watching (over and over) a Mr. Rogers where he goes to the circus, so I think she'd love it (plus, she is my child.  I don't know how many of you are aware, but I am quite the circus history buff.  Mainly of the sideshow variety, but I did extensive research on the topic for years.  Not that that has anything to do with this, except my love for the circus).  I am hesitant, though, because of the treatment of animals in the circus.  I wish I could find a fun circus that doesn't use majestic animals to perform tricks.  The Big Apple Circus looks like it could fit the bill, but that is, of course, in the Big Apple.  Not the big, um, cheese?  (Milwaukee, that is.)  The other thing that is putting me off about the circus is this (from their website):

Her name?  Ring Mistress Michelle Audrey.  That sounds a little skanky for a kids' affair.  Not to mention the massive, exposed cleavage.  I'm checking in with my Milwaukee peeps to see if they have any info on the circus.  Or that woman's boobs.

1 comment:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I miss the museums-that was one of the best parts of living in Chicago!

And I would be a little put off from the circus too by that photo-it's kind of scary!