Thursday, September 17, 2009

Proust Questionnaire Thursday! Today's Special Guest: Janette Rallison!

Janette Rallison is the author of nine books for teenagers, three of which have been chosen for the IRA Young Adults' Choices List. Her latest books are My Fair Godmother and Just One Wish. Janette lives in Chandler, Arizona with her husband, five children and enough cats to classify her as "an eccentric cat lady." She did not do this on purpose. (The cats, that is; she had the children on purpose.) You can visit with Janette at www.janetterallison.com.

The following questions are based on James Lipton's questions from Inside the Actors Studio, which, in turn, are based on the Proust Questionnaire. One of the questions is about swearing, so please excuse our French.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present-- Janette Rallison!

1. What is your favorite word?

That depends if you mean to hear or to write or to say. To hear: Yes. (when I ask my kids if they did their jobs, when I ask my editor if he liked my latest manuscript—it just works so well in so many arenas.) To write: Just. I write it way too much and have to go through my manuscript de-just-ifying it. Oh look, there it is in the beginning of this answer. To say: my husband’s name, because it means he’s near.

2. What is your least favorite word?

No. We all hear it far too often in life.

3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Being around other people who are upbeat, creative, and charged. Also, taking walks by myself.

4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Getting my editor’s revision letters. I usually decide to quit writing and raise ponies every time I see his stack of comments.

5. What sound or noise do you love?

The sound of my kids getting along together.

6. What sound or noise do you hate?

The sound of my kids fighting. (Wow, I’m beginning to sound like my mother. How did that happen?)

7. What is your favorite curse word?
Crap, if that counts as a curse word.

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

I always wanted to be an actress, but I thought it was too impractical, so I became a writer instead. If you are a sensible person, you should be laughing at that statement, because being a writer is as impractical as being an actress—I just didn’t know any better. Sometimes ignorance can help you in life.

9. What profession would you not like to do?

Food service. Been there and done that and still remember what it felt like to rush around a restaurant making sure everyone’s water glasses were full.

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

You did everything you were supposed to do.

Next Thursday's author: Billy Bones!

No comments: