Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Inspired

Welcome back!  (Am I welcoming myself back, or my readers back?)  I got home yesterday from my annual Christmas journey south to hang with the in-laws, and I'm raring to go.  Where, that remains to be seen.  What was interesting about the trip (there were, of course, many interesting things, but this is the interesting thing I'm choosing to blog about) is that for a while now, or ever since I finished and emailed my sequel to GET WELL SOON off to my editor, I've been wondering if my inspiration for writing books came from my job at the middle school library.  Not necessarily directly from the job or the kids, but just being away from writing for a school year and then coming back to it each summer.  That concerned me, since I have this year off from work and was hoping to write at least two novels during that time (one down, so at least one more to go, right?).  But then there was that period of time where I wasn't writing, didn't want to start another novel right away, and didn't even really know what I wanted to write.  I had ideas, but nothing that screamed, "Write me!"

During our trip south, Matt and I spent a lot of time driving around while Romy napped.  This was the only way to get her to nap, and it gave me a lot of thinking time.  Reading signs, looking at southern things, whispering to Matt about places he had been, sparked something in me.  And just like that, I was ready to write my next book.  I started it this morning.  It's off to a surly start, but I think that's sort of the point of the thing.  Or not the point, just maybe a place the narrator can move away from.  Wow.  The narrator.  She doesn't even have a name yet.  I'm only four pages in, but I know where it's going a bit.  And just like that, here comes novel number two of my year off.  All I needed was a little change of scenery.  And a Moon Pie.

9 comments:

Kayla Olson said...

Welcome back, and yay! That's so exciting, when inspiration hits and you can't help but to run with it. I cannot wait to see what this surly beginning turns into one day!!

:)

Brian James said...

Starting a new novel is always exciting...and scary knowing you're going to inhabit that story for a while. Good luck with it.

Natalie said...

Yay! I always get super ideas in the car. It's magic or something.

Julie H said...

Thanks, Kayla! I think when I go back for my first revision, I will unsurly her. Maybe. Brian, I am a bit scared! I'm trying to write as much as I can today, just to get into it so I don't flake out. And Natalie, I feel the same way about the shower. Except I never have anywhere to write down the ideas! They usually just wash down the drain.

hellskitchen said...

Mmmmm, Moon Pies. Bought a box when I was in Asheville for Thanksgiving. Did you know that the revelers at Mardi Gras in Mobile toss Moon Pies along with beads and trinkets from the floats.

So glad to hear that you're writing. I look forward to it.

anne

Julie H said...

Anne, that is now the only reason I would ever want to attend Mardi Gras. I think I'm going to have to have a relative send me a box. Oh yeah.

k said...

Ahh! I love those bursts of inspiration :)

And just an fyi...rode a train to Chicago and finished the audio book of Get Well Soon. ADORED IT! Cannot freaking wait for the sequel!!!

amber colleen said...

yay for new ideas! I just started a new story a week ago. :)

Good luck with yours!

Julie H said...

KT- Awesome! It is even possible that you passed the hospital it was based on while you were riding the train! Amber, good luck with your new story!