Tuesday, June 15, 2010

GET WELL SOON Saved!

Yesterday, GET WELL SOON was saved from banning at Theisen Middle School in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.  Huzzah!  I have to say, Ann Wentowrth did not think highly of my book at all.  I guess I shouldn't care, since I don't think very highly of Ann Wentworth, but it's still hard to read negative things about my work.  In the article where I learned of the verdict (yeah, no one called me or anything.  Is that the norm?) on fdlreporter.com, a second person was quoted saying things PRO-challenge:

Ruth Ann Elizalde of Fond du Lac, who is a grandmother and great-grandmother, said she is "old school" and disagreed with the disrespect for authority shown in the book.  She believed it would be appropriate reading if a counselor wanted it for a patient who contemplated suicide or was depressed but not "any kid who wants to read it for entertainment."

This is sort of a perfect time for me to read that quote.  You see, I am having a hell of a time starting the GET WELL SOON sequel.  Normally, I start a book, and it just flows.  It's fun to write.  I had no idea when I proposed GWSII (not the actual title) that it would be so painful.  I have started it several times.  I have changed the voice back and forth.  And I have begun to outline the story, which I never do.  I guess I was not thinking about the fact that writing a story about being depressed, including group therapy, the awkwardness of acclimating to real life, and the cruddy relationship between the parents in the book, would be hard.  Duh.  But that quote from Ruth Ann got to me.  Because that was the whole point of me writing GET WELL SOON.  Or at least one of the points.  The adults in Anna's life, my life, didn't deserve respect because they didn't offer any respect to me.  It's that simple.  And Anna, me, was finally able to gain her own strength to get out of her depression not by the help of the adults but by the help of her peers.  You have to give respect to get respect, Ruth Ann.  And the same goes to you, Ann Wentworth.  Respect these kids.  Respect your poor daughter.  Because after three unsuccessful attempts to ban books from your daughter's school, goodness knows your daughter needs someone to show her some respect.

8 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

Yay! I am so glad it was saved! I'm sorry the sequel's been rough, but you can do it. I hear sequels in general are tough (at least from my friends who've written them).

Squirrel said...

I'm so very glad your book wasn't banned. It's a wonderfully funny exploration of a very important subject that kids should NOT be sheltered from. Narrow-minded people like this really have no business making decisions for young readers. And thankfully, they didn't get to this time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

I am from FDL myself and am very happy your book was not banned. It is great that you are so aware, not only of your book's success and reputation, but the message you are connecting to our teens with. The meaning of respecct is subjective, but the reciprocity of it is absolute. You must give respect to get it.

Take care and happy writting-

Kelly Milner Halls said...

Julie, Chris (Crutcher) always says respect is earned through action, not age. Kids offer respect when adults work to earn it, and you're right, in fact and fiction, not all "adults" deserve that honor. Books that depict the failings of adults aren't advocating the abandon of civility. They are documenting SOME adults who fail SOME young people. Glad you stood your ground. Glad the librarian did, too. Good luck with the new book. Tough birth, but it'll be worth it. Can't wait to read it.

Megan said...

Congrats on your book not being banned (though part of me thinks it would be pretty cool to know someone with a banned book- not that it's good that any books are banned, but it would increase your badass quotient)!


(oops, I said a bad word)

A fan said...

Congratulations. Interesting quote from Ruth "any kid who wants to read it for entertainment". Whoever said books in library were there just for entertainment? I thought they were there to help educate. Best of luck with the sequel.

Julie H said...

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for writing and for your support!

Anonymous said...

i just read this book and it's hilarious and awsome.I'm so happy your writing a sequel[even though you're having trouble with it, but everything will turn out good because your an awsome author].