I don't know why I freak out so much when I pack for a trip. I am a seasoned traveler and survived for half a year in Australia with just the contents of my backpack (Okay, it was a really huge backpack. Like a couch on my back, really, and I did buy and make more clothes once I got there, but still). Yet, every time I go on a trip, I take several days to complete the packing process. Maybe I wasn't like this before I had a kid, but I have a feeling I was. I like to be prepared. That's not saying I over pack (although I usually do). I know, if necessary, I could plan each day's outfit and not bring three pairs of earrings. But, being that seasoned traveler, I also know that it's not such a big deal to pack extra and or bring options. This trip has many facets: we're going to New Orleans for the American Library Association Annual Conference, but we're also going as a family trip. Here are the types of outfits I will need:
- Something to present in at the YALSA pre-conference on writing for reluctant readers
- Something to wear to dinner with my editor
- Something to wear to a "dessert reception"
- Something to wear to a "cocktail reception"
- Various museum-going outfits for 90 degree weather
- A bathing suit for swimming with my daughter
- Something to wear to the YALSA Coffee Klatch and book signing following