Thursday, August 23, 2012

Getting Organized

When I speak on author panels, we are always asked questions about our "process." That question used to make me feel inadequate because I never felt I actually had a process. Which I eventually figured out was my process. People often wonder how writers organize their thoughts, do they make outlines, etc. I do not make outlines. Although, in my life I recall really enjoying making outlines for some time. Fun? The way I write my novels is to just GO. But with my next novel, (not Have a Nice Day, out October 16!, but the one I'm currently writing), I have more research to do than in the past. I actually spent many hours interviewing someone. That is quite researchy for me. I'm sure there will still be people out there who tell me I got it wrong. People love to do that. One of the biggest suckjobs of the internet. But at least I won't have this person's story wrong, and that's the best I can do.

The most fun part about having notes now is that I get to use one of my very special, rarely used Buffy binders. This is the one I chose for my new book:
It was originally made to house Buffy collector cards, but in the past I've used it to organize complicated road trips and now to organize my notes for the new book. And check out the paper I forgot I left inside:
(This picture does not do justice to the brightness of the pages.) Too awesome to write on, right? I like to just look at it and pet it. Ah, crazy school supplies. I will never stop loving you.

No comments: