Friday, September 03, 2010

Last Ice Cream Parlor

Sometimes when I'm in the middle of doing something else, I will write the most hilarious blog post in my head. Then, when it's time to actually write a post, I have no idea what to talk about. But I am five posts away from my 500th post, so I better think of something! Here's my weird brain: the town where I live used to have an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, but that closed (and I refuse to visit the nearby Oberweis because the owner, Jim Oberweis, is also an Illinois politicam with very different political views than mine).  Why am I telling you this?  Because the old ice cream shop was called "Wishes, Etc."  Semi-ridiculous name, but it made me think about wishes in general (I am really tired.  This is not making sense.  Go with me).  My mom was talking to me about her will today (not for any particular reason), and I said something about how when I die they better take my ashes and throw them overboard from the Peter Pan ride at Disney World.  I wasn't kidding.  Except that I don't really want to be cremated.  Maybe they could just drop my body overboard.  Do you think anyone would notice?  So, to continue with my morbid, yet sincere, gross, but totally committed plan: do you have any weird last wishes?

1 comment:

craftysunday said...

One of my favorite "last wish" lines is the entire Steve Goodman song, "Dying Cub Fan's Last Request". (You can read the lyrics here: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_cubs.shtml) He lays it all out: give everybody a frosty malt and a bag of peanuts, have the groundskeepers clear a path, toss him into a pile of burning baseball bats, and eventually he'll come to rest on Waveland Ave. I'm laughing now just thinking about how great that is!

Cheers,
mindi