Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Radical, Dude!

For some reason, this post has all sorts of weird fontness going on.

The title of this blog is because I have some radical items to discuss, and because some of my students dressed like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Halloween. Still? The cool-as-pizza news is that I have a few excellent interviews coming up. I don't know exactly when, but just know that one is associated with Dungeons and Dragons and the other is associated with Rupert Grint. Just those enticing details should have you all panting for more. I know I would be, if I weren't already.


Other grand news is that INTO THE WILD NERD YONDER will appear in Indiebound's Winter 2009-2010 Kid's Indie Next List --- "Inspired Recommendations for Kids from Indie Booksellers." It's not out yet, but it's quite a good thing, fer sure. I'm bringing that back, by the way. Fer sure. Fer sure, radical, dude, and maybe even a little gag me with a spoon. I'm bringing 'em all back.

And now for another great NERD review! This time it comes from Booklist. There may be a few spoilers, so don't read it if you want to be REALLY surprised. I kid. Or do I?

Jess loves audiobooks, sewing skirts, and the first day of school. She even gets along with her family,
including Barrett, her rock-god older brother. She is, in short, a nerd, and feels immediate dread when she
starts to grow apart from her two best friends, Bizza and Char, who underwent a punk makeover to fit in
with Barrett’s band. After Bizza goes after Jess’ longtime crush and winds up with an STD, Jess ends the
friendship. Karma, like Bizza, can be a bitch. With no clique to hang out with Jess is lulled into the
clutches of the Dungeons & Dragons crowd—and finds herself falling for one of them! Halpern (Get
Well Soon, 2007) realistically writes about teens coming to terms with their coming-of-age. Jess waffles
anxiously about embracing her inner nerdlinger, but emerges from the transformation secure in her self
worth and seeking out the people that will support her. Reinvention is rarely so delightfully nerdy.

That's five great reviews out of five! Outta sight! On second thought, I'm not bringing that one back. Fer sure.


1 comment:

Jody said...

Great review! Rad, fer sure. Also loved the previous Berk post, as I'm a fan!