Monday, July 16, 2012

Songs of Summer

I know I've been absent a long time, but it's a little (a lot) too personal to explain. So I am going to start blogging again and pretend I was never gone. To all of the two people who are still checking my blog: thank you.

I was watching an episode of "Hoppus on Music" (do you watch this? Do you also think Mark Hoppus is super smart and funny and awesome? You should also see him in the documentary "The Other F Word" about fathers in punk rock), and he was asking his guests what their song of summer was. He was pushing for that "Call Me Maybe" song by Carly Rae Jepsen. I will admit I have not heard this song in its entirety, but it's not because I am all above it and whatnot. Although, I do feel that way about Justin Bieber. Not that I am above listening to Justin Bieber (my fingers would not stop typing "Justin Biever"), but as a person (or media figure, which isn't technically a person) he grosses me out. I don't want to watch him fondling his child bride, Selena Gomez (who also grosses me out. She will never look, or sound, like an adult to me. Do you remember that ABC Family movie she was in where she was dancing-- and a really good dancer, I might add-- with some guy who turned out in the real world to be in his thirties? And they kissed! Ugh, so disturbing). This picture sums up my disinterest in Justin Bieber's music:
Living the Thug Life, I presume. According to Fashion Police, there are numerous websites dedicated to lesbians who look like Justin Bieber. This is the first interesting thing I've heard about him. Anywho, back to Jepsen. The reason I haven't listened to her song is that I'm afraid it's going to get stuck in my head. It's that kind of song, right? Like that freakin' Gotye song that has been stuck in my head for months. I don't even know if I like the song because I have no choice whether or not I want to listen to it. Every single radio station in Chicago plays that song (except the hip hop ones. But just you wait for that remix). And they're still playing it. Time to give it a rest because I'm sick of waking up in the middle of the night with "Somebody That I Used to Know" scrolling through my head. The other song that has been stuck in my head this summer in the middle of the night when I'd rather be sleeping is "Pop Fly" by the fantastic kids' music guy (I don't know what I'm supposed to call a musician who makes music specifically for children) Justin Roberts. Do you know of him? He's from Chicago, so I wasn't sure if he's known around the country or just locally. He should be known everywhere because his songs are great and super catchy, and we've seen him in concert three times. Actually, twice in one day. Here's Romy, aspiring rocker, in the pigtails right in front of the stage ready to rock:

I'm semi-drawing a blank when it comes to what actual music I've listened to this summer. When I'm in the car with Romy, it's between Justin Roberts, The Monkees, or kid books on CD. And when I'm at home, we flip on the radio, and it's either commercials or a Billy Joel song (I swear, Chicago radio cannot get enough of Billy Joel or Elton John. Me? I have already had enough of both of them). I've managed to slip in a few moments of my music of choice, which right now includes Iron Maiden and The Specials. So my song of summer? I think I'd have to go with "It's a Small World." That was Romy's favorite ride at Disneyland, and I've put it back into my head on numerous occasions since to bring me back to that happy place. I know it drives people crazy. But I'd rather go twenty rounds with a bunch of animatronic children than a dude and his lady rehashing their break up.

No comments: