Jay Asher is the author of the sad, suspenseful, compelling and addictive read, THIRTEEN REASONS WHY. The audiobook for this is fantastic, and the book completely lends itself to being listened to (since half of the book is a boy listening to the tapes of a deceased girl). Jay is one of the authors appearing at the NCTE conference this fall, where I will also appear (doesn't that make us sound like magicians? Or not.). Follow Jay's blog here.
The following questions are based on James Lipton's questions from Inside the Actors Studio, which, in turn, are based on the Proust Questionnaire. One of the questions is about swearing, so please excuse our French.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present Jay Asher!
1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
kindness (especially when it's uncalled for)
4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
unnecessary rudeness (yes, sometimes it is necessary)
5. What sound or noise do you love?
my wife laughing
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
cars skidding to a stop
7. What is your favorite curse word?
fart (saying it just makes you feel better immediately)
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
I would love to write and illustrate a daily comic strip!
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
"I'll sign your book if you'll sign mine."
Next Thursday's author: Carol Lynch Williams!