Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The ReRead

My family just returned from a vacation in Washington DC. This is one of the few trips I've taken since I left being a librarian that didn't count in some way as a business trip. I ran the family (and myself) ragged, zipping around the city in too cold weather, six months pregnant, and ended every day with cankles and sausage toes. Our final night of the trip began with the beautiful wedding of my cousin and ended with my kiddo barfing on the hotel bed (one of my biggest fears!!!). Last night, the first night home, finally brought on actual sleep. Aaaahhhhh.

Before I left for my trip, I grabbed a small book to read. Every book I have checked out from the library is massive in size and hard-covered, and with all of the stuffed animals and snacks filling my backpack, there was no room for any of them. I opted for an ex-school copy of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, a book I've read multiple times and one that happens to weigh very little. It's been years since I've read it, but it holds a place in my head's bookshelf of reread books. There aren't many, since I am a very slow reader and rarely find enough time to finish a new book, let alone read a book I've already read. But as I'm thoroughly enjoying revisiting Ray, it got me thinking about what other books I have reread (and also had me wondering if I already blogged about this some years back). Here is my list (that my still-recovering, groggy brain can remember) of books that I have reread:

The Phantom Tollbooth - Probably my most reread book. Do I have to explain why I reread all of these books? I've been up an hour, and I think I have already exhausted my brain power. This one I read in school more than once and then read it more because I dug it.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg - Who doesn't want to sleep in a museum?

Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison - So darn funny.

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar by Roald Dahl - I was way into Roald Dahl as a young teenager. I have read all of his books multiple times, particularly this one and Danny the Champion of the World. I think this was before I knew he was an anti-Semite (that's official, right?).

Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories - He didn't actually write this one. I lent this to my sister, and she dropped it in the toilet. I think. That's the story that sticks in my head. And has nothing to do with why I have reread the book. Super-duper scary. I may have to make this my next reread. I think I've owned at least three copes of this book.

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden - But I have never found the time to reread the entire series. Someday. So worth it.

My Perfect Life by Lynda Barry - I have many of these comics memorized. Perfect, indeed.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn - When I was in my somewhat disturbing, yet slightly endearing, circus era.

I'm sure I've missed some. Do the books I've written count? I have to read my books over and over again during the revision process. In fact, I am supposed to be doing that RIGHT NOW for my next book, The F-It List. It's not quite as fun when I have to pay attention and fix stuff in the book, though.

What are some of your favorite rereads?

[PS "Reread" is apparently a word, although I think it looks better as "re-read."]




2 comments:

Betsy said...

I have to say, Geek Love left me scarred for life. I don't know what it was. I just found the whole thing really disturbing - maybe the parents doing things to TRY to have freaky babies? I don't know. I was on a wonderful long weekend in Ottawa while reading it and I will never be able to remember that great vacation without thinking of the unsettled feeling I had while reading that book. It is one I wish I had stopped reading. I think I even bought it to! Stupid book clubs!

Phantom Tollbooth and From the Mixed-up Files I am totally on board with.

Julie H said...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! My blog fell off my radar, along with much of my brain.

I know what you're saying about Geek Love. I was really into that stuff in college. I think I would not feel the same way about it if I read it today.